Night cramps, which supplements to take
Cramps are an involuntary contraction of muscles in the calf, thigh, and foot that lead to temporary immobilization of this part of the body. It is usually harmless but painful throughout its duration: of course, it should not be underestimated because other more or less serious conditions may also be hidden behind a cramp.
The most frequent causes of cramps are:
- excessive physical exertion;
- mineral salt deficiency;
- poor circulation;
- maintaining the same position for a long time.
The more serious ones, on the other hand, concern the presence in the body of various conditions such as:
- narrowing of the arteries;
- diseases of the muscular system;
- neurological diseases;
- advancing age;
Remedies to solve this annoying cramping problem are:
- follow a healthy diet rich in minerals and vitamins (in this regard, do not forget to consume foods that contain these nutrients in large quantities such as bananas, nuts, figs and almonds);
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration;
- Do muscle stretching before and after any physical activity;
- stretching muscles before going to sleep;
- perform massages with essential oils such as rosemary and ginger oil.
But there are also many commercially available multivitamin supplements (e.g., orange- or lemon-flavored) that contain minerals and vitamins useful in preventing or resolving the problem of night cramps.
By taking them, always following a healthy and balanced diet and performing proper exercise, you are able to recover and produce energy and replenish minerals lost, for example, through sweat during a summer day or during excessive physical activity.
These are especially those that contain magnesium and potassium.
Again, prefer supplements rich in protein and minerals, for growth and maintenance of muscle mass and to reduce fatigue and tiredness.